Saturday, August 4, 2007

Day 2 of the NCEE and the East Coast trainer challenge

WOW ... day two was packed with folks!!
It's soo hot in Raleigh NC ... I think it's hotter than GEORGIA asphalt!
guy's I just don't have time to attend clinics and demos but I am making time to attend the trainer challenge so that I can be a good reporter and give you all the 411.
Today Terry Myers colt was pulled from the competition at Dr. Hougland's suggestion. He was a little sore and stoved up and Dr. H thought that while exercise was the prescription the unique challenges of colt starting would not be the medicine needed.
Terry worked with another colt after today's challenge to get caught up and will proceed tomorrow with this new colt. It's undetermined how this twist will really work into the competition.

So Scott and his buckskin beauty got along famously today. I have to say that had Scott thrown some floats and pool toys in the round pen I might have thought I was watching Clinton Anderson. I mean that as both a complement and a little bit of a tease. Even Scott's riding style, his horse's headset how he handled his horse today, he sorta climbed all over her staying in positions of "quick escape". She was calm and not at all distressed. He did a good job overall. Couldn't fault him if I tried.

Ed's colt got a review of bridling and saddling, handling and such but When Ed cinched up the girth, his colt got a little upset. He bucked, he hollared, he squealed and because Ed had made such good friends with his colt the colt turned to him for help, Ed had to back the horse off of him for safety reasons. He bucked a round or two and settled down when Ed's pony horse "Duke" sorta gave him the "what the heck is wrong with you" body langauge. The colt calmed down and his trust in Ed was apparent as he navigated obstacles like a champ. The dreaded blue tarp, even a sizable piece of plywood "bridge" ... after those the pole was a breeze. Ed's method of getting a horse ready to accept a rider is to set on the top of the round pen to get the horse acculmated to seeing a rider high in the saddle. Ed was going along well with this when Scott advised that he was planning to use a bullwhip ... so Ed climbed down and continued with ground work until Scott finished. He got a leg over, pressure on the stirrup, even his bottom against the saddle all from the safety of the round pen panel. The final leg is tomorrow at 12:30 but since I am checking out of the hotel early and there is no internet connection at the Fair Grounds ... you'll have to wait till I get back home late tomorrow night.
I've said from the beginning that I thought Ed would win this challenge based on experience ... today Scott showed us a lot but I still feel Ed will pull it out! I think his consistant methods and he careful consideration of the horse has made a lasting impression with the judges.

Blessings,
Tess

No comments:

Horse Industry related news and opinions as well as personal observations about life, love and horsiness from HorseSouth Magazine founder and publisher Tess Vanattia.

About Me

My photo
I'm Tess the owner and founder of HorseSouth Magazine. The south's BEST horse publication. I am 38 years old. I am happily married to a wonderful guy. We have 3 beautiful children, 4 horses, 2 dogs and a very busy life. http://www.horsesouth.com