Monday, June 22, 2009

The ICE Adventure

You've read maybe, about McKeever's First Ride. If not, back up ...

We arrive at Chastain Horse Park at roughly 9 am with about 20 bags of ice packed in coolers. At 9 am, it's about 95 degrees.
Those of you that know me well are aware that while I am not overly large, I am not tee-niny either. Publishing a magazine is not a physical job and well, I'll just say it. I'm somewhat lazy.
So, at 9 am I am helping Dee, Miss Deenie and Karen carry stuff for the event. It's not far really. A couple hundred feet, maybe not that much. Back and forth up the sidewalk. Within 5 minutes I am sweating like an unrepentant sinner on judgment day.
It's all good thou. We are happy and life is good. We get the drinks sorted into tubs and we are going to add the ice and water about 45 minutes before our guests arrive.
I asked God for a breeze and he supplied one! All was well.
We iced down the water and sodas and it quickly became apparent that in what was then 103 degree heat, we didn't have enough ice.
Karen was taking photos and we came in her truck, so Dee handed me the keys to her Range Rover and off I went to get ice.
Now then, Chastain Park for those of you that don't know is pretty much in the "hoity-toity" section of Atlanta. I wen to Publix to get ice and when I parked Dee's Range Rover there were two other Range Rover's in the lot but one was grey and the other was white. Dee's is black.
Into Publix I went. I gathered a dozen bags of ice into the buggy. I paid for them. I had the most pleasant cashier. It was going splendidly!
I walked out into the stifling heat and immediately considered climbing into the buggy with the ice.
I look around for where I had parked the car and noticed that ... while I was in the store ... about six Range Rover's IDENTICAL to Dee's where parked all around. I couldn't tell which was hers!!
This was a funny joke!!
Here I am on a black asphalt parking lot in 103 degree heat with a buggy full of ICE!
No problem, I'll use the key thingy to beep Dee's horn right? NO! Apparently, even though Range Rover's are in vogue in Buckhead, the keys aren't fancy enough to make the horns beep.
My ice is melting ....
Now I am suspicious looking because I am running around the parking lot with a buggy full of ice peeping in the windows of all the black Range Rovers.
I get several strange looks.
I want you to know it was the "horse person" in Dee that saved me! Her's was the only Range Rover with a saddle in the back.
I loaded up my dozen bags of melting ice ... and tried to shove Dee's gorgeous saddle as far away from the ice as possible.
Can't have water spots on the leather!
I just knew that before I got back, Dee was going to have a swimming pool in the back of her car.
Fortunately, the ice stayed frozen and many hands helped me carry the bags to the coolers and we managed to serve ice cold beverages to some very hot people!
Thank goodness the joke was only on me!

Abundant Blessings and ice cold drinks!
Tess

No comments:

Horse Industry related news and opinions as well as personal observations about life, love and horsiness from HorseSouth Magazine founder and publisher Tess Vanattia.

About Me

My photo
I'm Tess the owner and founder of HorseSouth Magazine. The south's BEST horse publication. I am 38 years old. I am happily married to a wonderful guy. We have 3 beautiful children, 4 horses, 2 dogs and a very busy life. http://www.horsesouth.com